In short, ionCube is software which renders PHP code not-readable by encoding it's contents (in our case only couple of license files). However, to make these files functional again the web server needs to have ionCube Loader installed. ionCube Loader is PHP extension used to decode PHP code prior to executing it. While most web hosting companies include ionCube Loader in their server configuration, some of them don't (rare case).
Our setup selfcheck routine will tell you if your server has ionCube Loader installed. If you don't have it installed, you should contact your web hosting company and ask them to install ionCube Loader for you. It is free software and it can be downloaded ionCube website.
Localhost ionCube installation
In order to properly install our scripts you will need ionCube loader. It is simple to setup. In this demonstration we will use XAMPP software for Windows. You can learn more about XAMPP from their website: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html
XAMPP will install web server software on your localhost machine: Apache, MySQL, PHP + PEAR, Perl, mod_php, mod_perl, mod_ssl, OpenSSL, phpMyAdmin, Webalizer, Mercury Mail Transport System for Win32 and NetWare Systems v3.32, Ming, FileZilla FTP Server, mcrypt, eAccelerator, SQLite, and WEB-DAV + mod_auth_mysql.
However this installation does not include ionCube loader. You will need to download loader from ionCube website: http://www.ioncube.com/loaders.php
Find your version. In this tutorial we will use XAMPP/ionCube for Windows 7 (x86).
1. Install XAMPP for Windows in folder C:\xampp\
2. Download ionCube Windows VC9 (x86)
3. Install ionCube in the folder: C:\xampp\htdocs\ioncube
4. Load it in your browser with url: http://localhost/ioncube/loader-wizard.php
5. After loader is done it will tell you what paths you need to change in order for software to work properly.
6. Coppy 5.3 loader is to the folder C:\xampp\php\ioncube\ (create folder if missing).
7. Open in notepad file: C:\xampp\php\php.ini
and find line:
;zend_extension = "\xampp\php\ext\php_eaccelerator_ts.dll"
add above that line:
zend_extension = "C:\xampp\php\ioncube\ioncube_loader_win_5.3.dll"
Please note that if you installed XAMPP in different folder than this path should be different (as you can see there is no need for ; ).
8. Restart appache.
9. Comment this article if you still have problems.
That should be it and you can now proceed with your script installation.