Poedit - software used for editing translations
.po file - It is opened in Poedit software and used to translate specific language
.mo file - Poedit software generates these .mo files for each language. This is the file that you can upload in your real estate script for each language.
image 3: Exporting .po file (make sure you export ALL strings, both translated and untranslated)
If you are starting new language you should download "English" language (untranslated) and translate it to your desired language, then import generated .mo file.
If you want to convert old translation you should use provided php2po.php script which is located in application/language/ folder. Simply open www.yourwebsite.com/application/language/php2po.ph... where "es" is language code you wish to convert. Appropriate messages.po file will be created (in this case in folder application/language/es/LC_MESSAGES/messages.po). You can then open generated messages.po file in Poedit and save it to generate usable messages.mo file, which you can then import as described above.
Feelin' fuzzy?Each translated string can have multiple states, here's the legend:
image 4: Translations' legend
- current - The string is approved and will be used for translations.
- waiting - The string is waiting for some reason and needs to be manually checked.
- fuzzy - The string is automatically generated from similar string(s) and must be manually checked.
- old - The string is not used anymore.
- with warnings - Something is wrong with the string.
If you have custom translations make sure that you save .po file locally in safe environment (on your computer, google drive, dropbox etc).